Friday 4 January 2013

A magical time

For some Christmas is a magical time and here at Hillside Harvest that's no exception. On the first Saturday of every month members of Hillside Harvest make a special effort to get down to the allotment. Much more can be accomplished as a group than individually. It's more fun too. For January, February and March first Saturdays have magically moved to the third Saturday in each month - that's 19th January, 16th February and 16th March.

On these special days members usually turn up around 10.30 and stay til 4pm or for as long as they can. Lunch is a shared affair around 12.30. Visitors are particularly welcome on these days. My first one was bonfire night and there was a very fine pumpkin soup served followed by fireworks. It's not all about gardening, there are some excellent cooks on board too.

Bonfire Night 2012
During February and March activities are planned for visitors. Free training is available as well as a chance to see what running an allotment involves.  In February I get the chance to find all about compost - if you want to join me its free, nosepegs not supplied. While in March there are experts on hand to explain how to plan an allotment if you're new to it. Check out the website for more details.

I'll come back to the action days but before all that I've got work to do. I'll be getting down to the allotment when I can. My next post will be about what jobs you can get up to in the middle of Winter.



1 comment:

  1. I am now fancying the idea of an allotment. Mmm, pumpkin soup. :-)

    Good work, Gareth.

    ReplyDelete